Re: [News] Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:03:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<40mgu3-vmo.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Sinister Midget <phydeaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> On 2006-09-23, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:

>>><quote>
>>>    and the use of screenshots from Windows XP as an example of what
>>>    not to do
>>></quote>
>>>
>>> Won't eat their own dog food. But not exactly news, though. When
>>> was the last time they followed their own "standards"?
>>>
>>><paraphrase>
>>> What a fucking moron you are Erik.
>>></paraphrase>
>>
>> You can tell how successful Roy is being here when you see that the
>> Erik F trollname is resorting to gutter language and abuse.  It's
>> been a long time, hasn't it, but it's there now.  It would be nice
>> to say that I feel sorry for him, but I can't say that I do.  I find
>> it hard to grasp what motivates people with no principles.
>
> I hate to say it but Erik is right on this one. GUI guidlines are
> important. Sun produced 2 books on Openlook. One for GUI developers
> and one covering style. Motif had loads of docs on this as well. No
> doubt kde and gnome have similar docs.
>
> Roy's criticism of MS is wrong here IMHO.

Perhaps it's right and perhaps it's wrong.  Using XP screenshots as
examples of how not to do it was interesting, and I thought, quite
funny.  Further to this, MS's own applications are consistently
inconsistent anyway, so it's hard to see how they're in a position to
tell others what to do.  Apple, otoh, do a good job of this.  I don't
think Roy was wrong, I think MS are highly hypocritical here, and
there's nothign wrong with saying so.

My point was about how low Erik F has gone, to be honest.

flannister, n.:
	The plastic yoke that holds a six-pack of beer together.
		-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends