Re: Windows based voting machines susceptible to viruses

  • Subject: Re: Windows based voting machines susceptible to viruses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 06:40:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Philip ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 04:26 \__

> It's an audio story. Another analysis showing that Diebold's Windows
> based voting machines can be compromised by viruses.
>
> It is interesting to hear Diebold's debasing of the analysis as against
> software that is two generations old. The investigator describes the
> differences as two minor revisions.
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6129761
>
> The virus is passed along via memory cards. Sounds like a straight
> Windows autorun exposure.

If you think that's bad, have a look.

        Hardware Hacking a Voting Machine in 4 Minutes

        http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/05/160251&from=rss

A couple of months ago I read thr following:

"Plagued by hardware defects, security vulnerabilities, and rapidly
diminishing credibility, voting machine manufacturer Diebold has been
dealt yet another setback as Alaskan state elections are hampered by
problems with the company's products. Assorted issues with voting
machines in seven precincts forced some election officials to manually
count and upload votes....

 Despite a growing body of evidence of fraudulent behavior and
defective products, Diebold continues to claim that its machines are
secure and reliable when properly configured. Alaska's Division of
Elections Director Whitney Brewster has stated that the current
problems are not a result of fraudulence or tampering, and has
attributed the machine failures to technological problems exclusively.
Brewster feels that the vote counts are still accurate, but this latest
voting machine meltdown serves as yet another glaring reminder of the
risks that voting machine technology pose to the most time-honored
tradition of American democracy, voting."