Re: [News] Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design

On 2006-09-23, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:59:01 GMT, Sinister Midget wrote:

>>> What a fucking moron you are Roy.
>>>
>>> Microsoft, as well as Apple, and many Unix vendors publish style
>>> guidelines.
>>
>> <quote>
>>    and the use of screenshots from Windows XP as an example of what not
>>    to do
>> </quote>
>>
>> Won't eat their own dog food. But not exactly news, though. When was
>> the last time they followed their own "standards"?
>
> The screenshots are to show how the guidelines have changed since XP, not
> that XP violates the XP Guidelines.
>
> And I was referring to the subject line in which Roy is incredulous that
> Microsoft would have the gall to publish style guidelines.  Oh the horror
> of it all!

Here's the title on the page:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/23/0551208&from=rss

  Microsoft Vista User Interface Guidelines Published

Here's Roy's headline:

  Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design

Here's the content he quoted, as can be seen above as well:

   "Microsoft has published the preliminary Official User Interface
   Guidelines for Windows Vista. Highlights include Top 12 Rules for
   the Windows Vista User Experience â?? and the use of screenshots from
   Windows XP as examples of what not to do. The full guidelines are as
   yet incomplete, but what is there makes for interesting reading."

He pointed out, in his title, that MS published/is publishing a
guideline (both original title and content) which tells developers, and
not only manufacturers, how to build and design (content), by listing
rules ("Top 12" of them) and providing screenshots of what not to do
(content).

>From one of the links on the page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Home.asp

   The goals for these official Microsoft® Windows Vista� User
   Experience Guidelines (or "UX Guide" for short) are to:

      Establish a high quality and consistency baseline for all Windows
      Vista-based applications.

      Answer your specific user experience questions.

      Make your job easier

Sounds like part of the audience is developers to me.

Here's from another link there:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Resources/TopRules/TopRules.asp

  Rule 1: Use the Aero Theme and System Font (Segoe UI)

       ...Use the Themes API to enable visual styles in your
       application. On Windows Vista the application UI will
       automatically be rendered with the new Aero Visual Style. Ensure
       your user interface is correctly using the Windows Vista common
       controls (ComCtl32 v6).  Developers can draw Theme parts by
       using the DrawThemeBackground API.  Use the Aero Theme XML
       documentation....

"Developers can draw.....". Looks like that's who they're talking
about/to in that part.

I don't see a problem. If it wasn't a quibble with the screenshot
comment, which was directly quoted, there's nothing to argue about with
the rest either.

Maybe you should take it up with the people who are responsible for the
content at http://msdn.microsoft.com/ instead of bitching at Roy for
getting it right.

--
A Windows utility is a virus with seniority.