Re: [News] Why WordPress (LAMP/OSS) Runs Millions of Sites

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 19:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz :
>> Open Source Rocks
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I've been doing a little work on a proof-of-concept for a new fully
>>| WordPress driven alexking.org site. I'm working off of the current WP
>>| trunk ("trunk" is the place bugs are created in any software), so
>>| naturally I ran into a couple of minor issues.
>>|
>>| After a brief IM conversation with Ryan to make sure I was fixing the
>>| issues correctly, I submitted a patch and minutes later it was
>>| committed. Fantastic!
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/09/19/open-source-rocks/
>
> And *that's* why open source works. See problem -> fix problem. It's
> easy to do this around the house but really hard to do in a corporate
> situation unless you have these advantages:
>
> Access to the source
> Access to the authors
> A method of communication that is fast
> A product that is easily changed and reproduced
>
> Software is the only industry (I think) that meets all the requirements
> for the OSS model, although other companies are trying to reproduce it
> in a way that works for them (see Open Source Beer). The OSS community
> takes such good advantage of the opportunities presented by it's own
> product, other models cant keep up as well. They've limited their
> resources for fear of the $Bottom_Line.

Open Source journalism

Open Source reviews (e.g. of papers, patents)

Open Source authorship (e.g. academic papers using Wikis)

Heck, last month I saw this Open Source business and this morning I found
Open Source sex (whether it refrred to gender, I don't wish to know).

http://www.compsoc.com/~cmulvey/index.html

It hasn't progressed since I last saw it. *frown*