Re: ATI and Open Source

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 10:36 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ATI Goes Open-Source With Stream Computing
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ATI's latest push for general purpose GPUs will allow software
>> | developers to harness GPU power for non-graphics applications.
>> `----
>>
>> http://techfreep.com/ati-flexes-its-gpu-with-stream-computing.htm
>
> Just speculating, but it sound like they have implemented X11/XGL in
> hardware.

I couldn't quite see it, but then again, I didn't read the article carefully.
There is a common argument that I once came across and it speak about how
it's cheaper to move everything possible to the 'software end', as means of
exposing the card to less irreversible vulnerabilities (also the reason for
closing the designs). This may lead to skepticism over your contention. I
think this opinion was posted as a comment in Slashdot, by a GPU
engineers/designer. What I still loathe is dedicated support for proprietary
technologies such as DirectX. It's as though hardware is moving towards a
close binding to a platform, applications, and a vendor. And that's exactly
what Microsoft sought to achieve. Kill OpenGL and no game will ever be
ported to a competitor's platform. Same with Winmodems, ActiveX, among many
other anticompetitive 'extensions', 'innovations', and close collaboration
with hardware manufacturer, who have the ability to imprison the end user.

> Just point your X-wire byte stream into it, and you have an optimized
> X11 server and XGL server, ready to do your beck and call.
>
> Way to go ATI.
>
> Look for this card on "Linux Ready" machines.

Linux-ready as opposed to people-ready (AKA botmaster-ready)? I'm sure that
the script kiddies get a stiffy just thinking about all that Vista-capable
gear that will become available for them to use, once it's hijacked. I guess
blacklists to manage and cope with DDOS attacks will be harder with IPv6 in
the wild. By that point nonetheless, the Internet will have been in a
catastrophic state anyway. How long will it be before I get 2000 SPAM per
day? Judging by the current nonlinear pace, as well as the recent (yet
unpatched) threats that expose Windows to hijackers, it may take just
several months. A Cisco executive said Vista is scary. Can it be more scary
than its predecessors? If so, I might as well start buying some tin cans and
fill my home with food, in preparation for wartime.