Re: [News] A GPL Tiger (gpl-violations.org) Shows Its Teeth in Court

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 08:21 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by
>> D-Link
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
>>| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses
>>| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
>>| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel
>>| and many other software programs used in the product.
>> `----
>>
>> http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Kernel developers' position on GPLv3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| This document is a position statement on the GNU General Public License
>>| version 3 (in its current Draft 2 form) and its surrounding process
>>| issued by some of the Maintainers of the Linux Kernel speaking purely in
>>| their
>>| role as  kernel maintainers. In no regard should any opinion expressed
>>| herein be construed to represent the views of any entities employing or
>>| being associated with any of the authors.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/200422/
>
> GPL tested again in court, and the court confirm's its validity.  I'm
> disappointed in DLINK for claiming that it was not legally binding,
> though.  I think I'll avoid DLINK equipment in future.

Yes, the GPL has won in court for (at least) the third time in just a couple
of week. There's more on this in Groklaw.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 152 total,   1 running, 149 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie