Re: [News] Reasons Why Linux Outperforms Windows at Hosting

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:52:21 +0100

> I found that's it is not conspicuously a matter of cost (initial cost
> seems to suggest parity). What you get for basic hosting is so mere.
> Every little addition (can be as fundamental as Web statistics) forces
> you to open up your wallet. This reminds me of Windows, which comes
> with Paint and Wordpad. You are then required to purchase Office to
> open your old(er) files, among other things. Moreover, I have been in
> close touch with my hosts, so I regularly see this. And Windows uptime
> (site and mail) seems appalling as well, based on what I observe in
> the forums.

>From the admin point of view, it's a lot of work adding stats to a
windows host. IIS doesn't configure with good logging variables by
default.

Another problem is going back to make changes is not that simple either,
as a post configuration, ie, when a customer wishes to have a change,
such as default document etc. That requires manual work.

Apache's text configuration makes this really easy if they want, for
example home_page.html to be the default document.

> The BSD host that I have has retained fairly good uptime as well. But
> the service and facilities are awfully disappointing because the
> server is old and it rarely seems to get any updates.

Yeah, the patch Tuesday or whatever it is can frustrate us no end. The
admins have to do a lot of thinking when doing updates.

It's not easy for them, if you're a virtual customer. One small change
could effect 200 sites in a way they had no idea of.

My biggest complaint is with my source built mailer. Debian
auto magically overwrites /usr/sbin/sendmail with a link to exim4, which
isn't what I have configured, I know I should be using nullmailer, but
that's not the point... Aside from that, it's damn near perfect for
virtual hosting.

With dedicated hosting I don't give a monkeys what the customers do,
providing it's not effecting the rest of the network.

> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz    The Holy Bible:
> http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html

Such a good documentation source.