Re: New MS policy on Internet Windows Activation

  • Subject: Re: New MS policy on Internet Windows Activation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:53:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 17:52 \__

>  have just done a clean re-install of the retail copy of XP Pro that I have
> owned for 4 years, on the same un-changed laptop that it has resided on for
> that four years. The last installation was well over a YEAR ago. It failed
> the internet activation and I ended up having to speak to a customer
> services representative. I asked him why it did not activate over the
> internet. He told me that a new policy just issued is that even with retail
> copies, internet activation is now restricted to ONE instance - any more
> than that has to be over the phone.
>
> That's going to push a lot more people to Linux, isn't it?
> If this is true, WHAT THE HELL DO MS THINK THEY ARE DOING?

To be honest with you, I think that Microsoft is trying to crack down on
piracy (yes, honest!) as means of squeezing out revenue that is left to be
made from overpriced properietary software. Within a couple of years, not
only will such software become cheap, but it will also become less
prevalent, or its importance lowered/obviated by (LAMP/OSS-based) Web
services.