[News] Open Source Cinema (with YouTube's Distribution) Gunning for the Big Players

Open Source Cinema -- No Kidding

,----[ Quote ]
| But has anyone ever started by open sourcing their film with the
| intent of putting out the remix as the final product? A quick
| Google search lead to some kids at NYU who encouraged people to
| take the blessed geek trilogies and remix them into 5-8 minute
| short parodies, but better still I found Open Source Cinema.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2007/04/open_source_cin.html

The media companies can't be too happy about this. They already appear to be
combatting Google. See the following.

Conspiracy afoot to kill off Google

,----[ Quote ]
| The Alternet magazine claims that there is a conspiracy between the big
| media outfits to kill off or at least damage Google.
|
| It thinks that Viacom's $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit
| against YouTube and the recent deal between NBC Universal and News
| Corp to establish a rival online video site is all part of
| cunning plan.

User-generated content could do to films (as we know them) the same thing
that Free software does to proprietary software vendors. One can tailor a
film to an audience and make distribution much cheaper.