[News] Herald Tribune Covers OpenDocument vs. 'Monopoly Enabler'

Standards divide European archives

,----[ Quote ]
| When governments in Belgium, France, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Brazil
| and Croatia moved last year to convert some of their official
| documents to a new format called ODF, they thought they would be
| sidestepping an old rivalry among software vendors that have
| their own proprietary formats.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/08/technology/docs.php

Related:

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Microsoft playing three card monte with XML conversion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959