Re: corel linux / word perfect

  • Subject: Re: corel linux / word perfect
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:03:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 08 April 2007 00:05 \__

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A5576-2001Feb14&notFound=true

> Openoffice 2.0 is supposed to be able to read Wordperfect files (I
> think this is right), and convert them to other formats.  Don't know
> about how well it works (macros, tables, etc).  Also Sun's Staroffice
> handles wp files, maybe better than oo, don't know for sure, but Star
> office costs about $70 and runs on Linux.

Microsoft intends to do to Novell just what it did to Corel. We've covered
this with a bunch of links in the past and there are some more items that go
back and refer to that deal (can explore with the search bar ;-) ).

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/11/30/corel-linux-odf/
http://boycottnovell.com/index.php?s=corel

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/16/corel.linux.on.ms.idg/index.html

    "LinuxWorld: With the recent investment by Microsoft (in Corel), many
people in the Linux community are concerned about your various Linux
projects getting derailed. What effect will there be on your Linux
ambitions?

    Rene Schmidt: Essentially, with Linux, we are very committed to it. And
with Microsoft is not anti-Linux or anything. It is really about .Net. It is
really about the Web... [Linux is] not really any different than any other
platform, whether it is a Macintosh platform or a Windows platform that
provides services through the application. So from our point of view it is
not something that hampers what we are doing on Linux. In fact, it provides
new opportunities in Linux.

    LinuxWorld So your next release of Corel Linux will come out on schedule
and as planned?

    Rene Schmidt: Yes. We are working on a server edition and we are also
working on an enhanced version of the desktop and the server combined
together to provide enterprise solutions. They are slated for next year."

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
  8:00am  up 27 days 15:03,  7 users,  load average: 2.17, 2.16, 2.01