Re: Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 21:32 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 20:46 \__
>>

>>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/11081/1090/
>>>
>>> "A little over five months has gone by since the Microsoft-Novell deal
>>> was signed but some details still remain unknown.
>>>
>>> Of particular interest is the fact that nothing has been said about the
>>> role which Mono will play in the deal. Mono, for the uninitiated, is the
>>> project run by Gnome co-founder Miguel de Icaza, to try (desperately)
>>> and replicate Microsoft's .NET development environment on Linux. It is
>>> now part of Novell after it bought Ximian, de Icaza's company, four
>>> years ago. "
>>
>> the author is actually quite critical. He should be. While it's okay for
>> some
>> businesses to require migration of .NET applications to Linux, it leads to
>> legal issues and it only encourages use of the Microsoft API.
>>

> The author also insinuates that there's something more 'sinister' in the
> Novell-Microsoft deal regarding Mono. IMHO that's nonsense since no big
> company in their right mind would use Mono on Linux for their .NET
> applications for fear of being sued by Microsoft over .NET patents which
> Mono surely violates.

I'm a doubter when it comes to de Icaza's' intents. I'm not the only one.
Bear in mind that he has friends and connections in Redmond. I appreciate
all the wonderful things he has done with/for GNOME, but Mono is a step too
far. He's probably among the drivers for this deal with Microsoft as well,
along with folks like Friedman. On the other extreme you have Samba folks,
some of whom have left Novell in protest.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
Swap:  1036184k total,   488924k used,   547260k free,    43868k cached