Re: Why is ECMA in Microsoft's pocket?

__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Friday 06 April 2007 00:28 \__

> The first time I heard about ECMA was when there was an attempt from
> Microsoft to change a name that they hated: JavaScript. They wanted it
> to be renamed ECMAscript, and failed miserably.
>
> Now ECMA is at it again, doing its master's bidding.
>
> Are any of ECMA board members public servants, whose personal finances
> could be investigated, I wonder.
>
> -Ramon

There's a lot more about it (with links here):

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/12/a-coin-in-the-slot-standards-organization/

'It is clear that Ecma is an Industry Standards organization, as opposed to
an Open Standards organization, and is subject to influence. Nothing is more
telling than their own website, which states (emphasis mine) "Ecma is driven
by industry to meet the needs of industry, generating a healthy competitive
landscape based on differentiation of products and services, rather than
technology models, generating confidence among vendors and users of new
technology.".'

Indeed. A "Coin-in-the-Slot Standards Organization". Apparently, however, ISO
is no better these days.

Microsoft's Open XML Format Advances in ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Updegrove, a partner with Boston law firm Gesmer Updegrove and
| editor of the ConsortiumInfo.org standards blog, said that 14 of 20
| three were inconclusive or neutral, and one offered no objections.

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Why on earth are Microsoft employees making a decision on a Microsoft
proposal? Who is in charge of industry regulation? Oh, that's right. Those
who should be subjected to regulation. The watchdogs watch over themselves.
How convenient.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
  1:00am  up 25 days  8:03,  7 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.62, 1.06