[News] When Things Go Wrong in Windows, They Go Very Wrong

This stupid stuff doesn't happen on a Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| And my DVD drive was dead in Vista.
|
| No DVD drive showed up under My Computer. I do not have mad Windows
| troubleshooting skillz, so I feared the worst.
|
| [...]
|
| So I'd fiddled with the Registry, and no joy. I began to think about
| wiping the Boot Camp partition and reinstalling Vista. But that would
| be a huge pain, because I'd also have to reinstall Office 2007 and
| other programs. Back to more Googling. And I ran across a post on a
| forum that suggested that the solution was to delete both the
| UpperFilters and the LowerFilters data types in the Registry entry,
| no matter what. Back in the Registry Editor, I found the right entry,
| deleted the LowerFilters data type, quit the Editor, then rebooted
| Vista.
`----

http://www.backupbrain.com/2007_04_01_archive.html#a005036

It's a case of making a point. No system is perfect, but let nobody not
pretend that Linux requires googling (especially if the OEM preinstalls it).
This skilled guy burned 2 hours just trying to get his DVD drive to show up.

Yesterday:

Vista - Fix Large File Copy and Network Disconnect

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://library-cafe.com/article/vista-fix-large-file-copy-and-network-disconnects-367-1.html