[News] Explaining the Great Severity of Windows Content Protection (DRM)

Microsoft Vista, degenerative technology analysis (part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
| The real issue that warrants your attention is that Microsoft has
| teamed up with the entertainment industries (RIAA + MPAA) to create
| an operating system that can control what you do, where you do it,
| and how you do it. The real issue is that they are collectively
| pushing degenerative technology which is causing a cultural backslide.
`----

http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/ms-vista-degenerative-technology-analysis-part-1

The *NIXED Report Vista Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| I have decided to throw out a challenge to all of the MS apologists
| out there. They love Vista. They truly do, with some exceptions of
| course. These people keep trying to convince me that the system is
| so wonderful and so great. Many of them do this without having ever
| used Linux or even trying a Live CD. They wouldn't know GNU or
| Linux (GNU/Linux in some circles) if it bit them on the ankle.
`----

http://www.thenixedreport.com/news.php

Related:

Microsoft spins DRM tale in 'blog'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft can't come clean, can't talk honestly, and won't do
| anything to protect its customers. Keep that in mind when you
| are buying your next PC, if you buy one with Vista pre-installed,
| you are funding the very people who are actively hurting you.

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.
`----     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

Peter Gutmann on Vista DRM

,----[ Snippet ]
| Leo: So the insane paranoia really comes from Hollywood, not from
| Microsoft.
|
| PETER: It's hard to tell what goes on inside Microsoft. But if you
| read the technical specs, I think any technical person that reads
| those specs would say this is never going to work, and half of the
| stuff is nuts. On the other hand, it could well be high-level managers
| inside Microsoft who don't understand the technology and who
| completely agree with Hollywood and who think we should do this
| even though other people have told me it's impossible, we're
| going to do it anyway.
`----

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm

Cost analysis of Vista DRM: Part II