Re: Patch Reboot Reboot Reboot Reboot Reboot Reboot Reboot Reboot

On 2007-04-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ AB ] on Wednesday 04 April 2007 07:20 \__
>
>> On 2007-04-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> __/ [ Freeride ] on Wednesday 04 April 2007 04:33 \__

>>> As AB says, reboot Microsoft. I think that Vista is intended to permit
>>> updates without reboots, but I am not entirely sure (I don't use it).
>>
>> XP did that trick. The problem is many patches don't go into effect
>> until a reboot is done. So if you're trying to patch away a security
>> icky, you reboot or else.
>>
>> I have serious doubts that Vista has changed that. They more than
>> likely have suppressed the nag dialog instead.
>
> A quick Web search brought this up:

These guys sure do make it hard to stop laughing at them, don't they?

> I'm not sure what they mean by "parts". Also, given the date, this feature
> may have been lost. It was month before they "reboot" the development of
> Longhorn (later to become Windows XP/2003 Server, then renamed "Vista"). So
> the answer here is "I don't know"...

That was probably one of those great ideas that were coming out, like
WinFS (which was a dead idea several times over the last 10 years or
so).

I'm thinking they used "parts" because they had no idea at the time if
they could even make it work. So they left it in deliberate obscurity
so nobody could hold them to anything more than a solitaire or notepad
update that could be performed without a reboot, I'm also thinking that
the "snapshot" idea was what killed it because they couldn't find any
way to implement it. Maybe they could do it if they had an hour or two
to "snapshot" things and save the right state to come back to. But that
would have ended up being worse than the reboot.

Speaking of WinFS, it was going to be included in Vista, and I think
they said it would be made available on XP. Then I recall seeing
sometime that they were going to have to make it available later for
Vista as well. Anybody know the status on that? I can't recall hearing
anything more on it for about a year. They ought to be pretty close to
releasing it, right?

--
A computer without Windows is like ice cream without ketchup.