Re: DVD copy protection cracked ..

  • Subject: Re: DVD copy protection cracked ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:02:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 04 April 2007 06:17 \__

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Does the MP/RI/AA seriously expect people to keep buying the *same*
>> "licence" to use the *same* content over and over again, every time
>> their media physically degrades? But with "content protection" that is
>> exactly the implication, indeed under the American DMCA even
>> circumventing such protection is illegal, regardless of whether or not
>> any copyright has been violated.
>
> Its worse than that.  As I interpret the DMCA, it actually attempts
> to make it illegal to even possess a tool *capable* of circumventing
> content protection, whether or not you even use it.  Keep a crowbar
> in the trunk of your car?  Obviously you intend to break into
> someone's house with it... lock that man up!  Have DeCSS software on
> your Linux PC?  You obviously intend to pirate videos!  (you couldn't
> possibly intend to use it to... well... watch DVDs on your linux
> computer)
>
> It's insane.

Bill Gates is already running around, manipulating politicians worldwide to
make this the law. I think he's already Pwned France and Australia.

,----[ Quote ]
| "A source that deals with the company said unofficially that Gates
| proposed Microsoft's Digital Rights Management technology as a national
| standard to fight piracy at the governmental level."
`----

http://www.kommersant.com/p719683/r_528/

Your post, as well as homer's, make the point very clear. Retention of
data... the right to actually preserve our history... is being being taken
away from us. Why? Because it's not financially beneficial to those who
exploit.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
Tasks: 139 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie