[News] Canadian Government Will Support Open Source Development, Says Consultant

The open source attitude

,----[ Quote ]
| In the first of a three-part series, we offer a comparative look at how
| firms in the U.S. and Canada decide which software model works for
| their enterprises
|
| [...]
|
| The Canadian government will play a role in the development of open
| source in this country, said Russell McOrmond, an open source
| consultant and policy coordinator for Canadian Linux Users Exchange
| (CLUE). He's also the private sector coordinator for Getting Open
| Source Logic Into Government (GOSLING), which is a voluntary,
| informal knowledge-sharing community.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=42726

More from Canada (recent):

Spending on open source support services in Canada to soar

,----[ Quote ]
| The market for open source support services is going to boom over
| the next five years, according to a recent Gartner survey.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=42488&cid=6

Link Linux Shares to Trade Publicly

,----[ Quote ]
| Link Linux Inc, a Toronto- based distributor of innovative Linux based
| tools, has announced its intention to initiate public trading in the
| near future.
|
| [...]
|
| "Using Linux operating systems can save huge amounts of money for
| businesses operating large numbers of work stations," said Davis.
| "Businesses in general have been reluctant to switch to the Linux
| operating system because of the need to retrain their employees. The
| new breed of products which Link Linux intends to market will exploit
| the low cost and other advantages of Linux without an expensive
| transition period."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060925/nym134.html?.v=63

Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

,----[ Quote ]
| The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
| distribution designed for use in schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
| about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/16/1717243&tid=23&tid=46

Suse Linux is a real option

,----[ Quote ]