[News] Oracle Dirty Tricks, Google and Microsoft (and other OT-ish items)

Oracle vs. SAP: Sound Or Fury?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ellison has a long history of launching attacks to disrupt another
| company's business. Three years ago, when Oracle announced its hostile
| bid for PeopleSoft, analysts saw it as a way to weaken, and then pick
| off, a vulnerable rival. In 2000, Ellison hired private investigators
| to rifle the trash of trade groups sympathetic to Microsoft Corp.,
| calling it his "civic duty" to do so. More recently, SAP has been in
| the bull's-eye. Two years ago, Oracle swiped retail software maker
| Retek Inc. from under SAP's nose after a heated bidding war.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_15/b4029064.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

[Google] Too Powerful? Us? Surely You Jest

,----[ Quote ]
| People increasingly compare Google to Microsoft in the mid-1990s--the
| height of its power, arrogant at times. Is that a fair comparison?
| The comparison is absolutely false. And the reason it's false is that
| people do not understand the strength of the Microsoft monopoly.
| Microsoft had 90%-plus market share in a market where it was impossible
| to switch. And Google has neither. It certainly does not have that
| market as best we can tell, and it's trivial to switch. Microsoft
| hid behind the user-choice argument.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_15/b4029007.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Xerox to nab Global Imaging for $1.5 billion

,----[ Quote ]
| Xerox plans to acquire Global Imaging Systems in a deal valued at
| $1.5 billion, the companies said Monday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6172455.html

Transmeta To Cut More Jobs

,----[ Quote ]