Re: [News] PCWorld Poll: 61% Have Vista Problems

  • Subject: Re: [News] PCWorld Poll: 61% Have Vista Problems
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:46:58 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[snips]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:23:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Just dropped a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 500 into my box at home.  Boot up...
>> hmm... detects it as two PVR 150 devices, which is about right - it's a
>> dual-tuner, dual-compressor device, essentially two 150s on a single board.
>>
>> Box came with a driver CD for Windows.  Wonder why?  The Linux box didn't
>> need it.
>
> The same goes when it comes to printers and scanner, based on what I have
> seen. Monitors, sound cards, et cetera... people still rely on the OEMs when
> it comes to Windows... or some installation CD (which is likely to be
> useless if you got suckered into paying for Windows Vista).

Kinda cool, all things considered.  Dropped in the card, the system
detected it.  There's a walk-through on the Ubuntu forums for getting it
all working with MythTV.  Now I have umpteen scheduled time-shift
recordings going on, many with overlapping time slots (Myth sorts out
which tuner to use), auto-conversion of the MPEG to XVID (which I can
play on my PVR) and all managed through a web interface.

Too barking easy.

On another note, the HP Laserjet 1020 actually required another
walk-through to get working properly; seems while the system recognizes
the printer, the printer itself needs a firmware dump from the driver in
order to do the right thing, and that requires an extra step or three in
setting the thing up in Linux.  Easy-peasy step-by-step walkthrough, all
done, prints fine.