Re: linux windows comparison matrix

  • Subject: Re: linux windows comparison matrix
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:34:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 31 March 2007 21:18 \__

> On 2007-03-31, Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> NoStop came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy:

>>> GNU/Linux = a real operating system
>>> Windoze = a toy operating system
>>>
>>> That should be all you need.
>
>> To run a comparison you need a fair sample - two identical machines
>
> Or just one dual-boot machine.
>
> Comparison is fairly simple, since many of the apps are available on
> both systems (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.).
>
> Two of the best comparisons IMHO, is Gaming Performance and Video
> Transcoding Performance. IME  given the same tools (or games) on both
> platforms (e.g. ffmpeg and Quake3), the Linux clients usually
> outperform the Windows clients by a noticeable degree, especially when
> said clients are rebuilt to optimise for the specific arch.
>
> Speed and efficiency aside, if the OP is looking for a comparison of
> specific functionality (i.e. *what* is available), either SourceForge
> and/or Freshmeat would be good starting points (as well as Google, of
> course). At various times there have been so-called "matrices" of
> applications (I used to maintain one myself), but given that there is
> now very little available on the Windows platform, that does not have
> some kind of Linux equivalent, it seems a waste of effort to maintain
> such a chart.
>
> Ultimately the only comparison that really matters is ones personal
> preference; things such as look and feel, flexibility, configurability,
> stability, security, cost, available choices, development path and
> costs (if applicable), etc.
>
> If one comes to a Linux Advocacy newsgroup, it's pretty obvious what
> the answer is going to be. For empirical results, I suggest the OP
> tries more neutral territory.

Or Enemy Territory. Runs nicely with NVidia GPUs, under GNU/Linux. Your last
point is a very valid one, which is why I pointed to a neutral magazine
without commenting further.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered