Re: Microsoft Gives Windows away! (Well almost)

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Gives Windows away! (Well almost)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:00:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 19 April 2007 15:29 \__

> On Apr 19, 4:19 am, Gordon <gbpli...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Microsoft is obviously running VERY scared at the moment, it's going to
>> sell windows for as little as US$3 in an attempt to double it's user
>> base...

> Story also covered in todays NYT.  It says,
> Quote:
> -----------------------
> Software piracy is another pressing concern for Microsoft and other
> software companies in developing nations. Mr. Ayala acknowledged that
> piracy and the competition from Linux were business issues for
> Microsoft.
>
> "But this isn't really about responding to those things, but about
> finding an economically practical way to put good software and a good
> computer into these people's hands and get them going in life," Mr.
> Ayala said.
>
> "Certainly," he added, "for Microsoft this is an investment in the
> long term. These are the consumers of the future."
>
> No no no no no, Linux and the OLPC had nothing to do with it.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/technology/19soft.html

I have been finding a lot of articles about comouting in Africa recently.
It's rare to see something other than Ubuntu Linux being used. You just need
to look closely at the details.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Tasks: 122 total,   2 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie