Re: The sorry state of open source today

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 16 April 2007 23:50 \__

<snip>

>> Like I said in another post, this guy has simply collated all of the
>> most recent anti-FOSS FUD and stitched it together into a huge rant. I
>> wonder how many of those issues he was bitching about actually affected
>> him *directly* if at all. It was a rant without purpose (of any
>> *positive* kind anyway). It was an exercise in attention seeking.

<snip>

> Attention seeking -- bingo. Linux developers are afraid of him. His posts are
> insulting their work very frequently and he is very political as well.
> Damaging? No doubt. But it's like a bit collection of endless bug report
> that help improve Open Source.
>
> Gael Duval once contacted me. He is just one among those developers whose
> hard work is being rubbished by a man who seeks traffic, fame, and 1337ism.
> I still enjoy what he writes. I just hope WinTrolls never read it, or reach
> his pages via search engines.

Don't worry, I'm quite sure that they read his posts avidly.  However,
as is often pointed out here, if you have a genuine bug report or
problem report in the open-source world the proper thing to do is to
submit it to the distro you use, the package maintainer will ship it
upstream to the developer, and if there is support for your point of
view, then action will be taken.  As Homer says, though, if you don't
like it, you can fork the package yourself and take what action you
want, or if you are unwilling to develop those skills, then you can pay
someone to do it for you.  There are very many options available for
those who wish to influence the development of open-source packages,
without resorting to the methods of the proprietary world.