Re: [News] Microsoft Tries Forcing Move to a Windows-only World Wide Web

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Tries Forcing Move to a Windows-only World Wide Web
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:26:53 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:PzLztwGSdQkrfTcD5lLAcOr/tQg=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> John, it is important that folks like you spread the word among
>> colleagues. Microsoft uses slogans with words like "Anywhere", leaving
>> developers under the impression that it can be as accessible as Adobe
>> Flash. It's not! And being proprietary, in the hands, of Microsoft, it
>> will probably be 'extended' in nasty ways to assist the monopoly, through
>> integration.
>>

> The sweet thing about this is that they are starting to get a taste of their
> own medicine.   As someone who searches for a consumes a lot of Internet
> A/V (for many years now), I have watched the gradual movement of standard
> from RealMedia to WinMedia and then to mp3, mpeg and Flash.   Flash, even
> though proprietary, is a godsend for Linux as it always plays video just
> fine and is perfect for any streaming application.
>
> At some point MS may not be able to keep up with Flash and other streaming
> protocols and be left behind.

Flash totally sucks for Linux. The client is buggy and always behind the
curve. I would sooner it were in Windows formats since players like
mplayer work perfectly, in the res I want, in a proper z-ordered
resizable window. Flash is the invention of the devil.

--
They are most deceived that trusteth most in themselves.