Re: [News] Microsoft Contract Eliminates Macs in the Classroom

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Removal of Microsoft Office riles some school Macintosh users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | New software agreements for schools are riling some teachers who are
> | required to remove Microsoft Office from all Apple Macintoshes used
> | in the classroom.
> `----
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/BA07C6E3F5B6DEFCCC2572BF00103732

If I was a teacher in there I would do as the agreement says and wipe MS
Office off all of the machines. Then I would put an alternative office on
them all. Always look for ways to make a nasty MS agreement backfire on
them thats what I say, so if MS don't want the kids using MS Office then
just don't use it. Kids will want to use the Office they are used to when
they get home, then at UNI and then in their work.

I just found OpenOffice for the Mac, I must admit that I hadn't known there
was a version for the Mac, it means the teachers can throw MS out of their
classrooms.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016834&source=rss_news50
> http://tinyurl.com/ysjjtc
>
> What a nice company! Where are the apologists?

Ok, here is another, MS don't want you using their IE or Media player, so
don't use them, there are alternatives out there. Particularly for the Mac,
I can't actually imagine buying a Mac and then loading IE or an alternative
to the Mac's own media players, it would seem to me like a downgrade.

I'm biased here though, I like RealPlayer on my Linux's, it has been my
prefered player for a long time now. By the way, for others who like
RealPlayer there is an updated player out now, it isn't drastically
different, just some fixes as far as I can see.