Re: [News] The Nasty Effect of Vista DRM on Filesystems and Use

__/ [ John Locke ] on Tuesday 17 April 2007 04:56 \__

> It appears that the DRM infestation in Vista may be doing
> some nasty things. Its looking like Peter Gutman was right
> to be concerned. This content protection crap really is an
> animal of a different nature.
>
> What's bad about this is that Microsoft will probably never
> admit that there are  problems with DRM for fear that
> customers will finally rise up and demand complete removal.
>
> ....and then Microsoft would be offending the content
> providers
>
> ...and then the customers wouldn't be able to play HD media
>
> ...and then the customers would be pissed at both Microsoft
> and the content providers
>
> ...and it goes round and round..and the problems caused by
> DRM will go on and on.

Back when this decision was made, Microsoft thought DRM was going to be big.
It thought that gradually all content would become DRMed and therefore
rivals would be locked out. How wrong was Micorsoft. We go in the opposite
direction in 2007. People run away from DRM.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz    | Switch to GNU/Linux. < http://www.getgnulinux.org/ >
  6:00am  up 2 days  5:28,  5 users,  load average: 0.85, 0.47, 0.56