Re: [News] Once Again, Microsoft Muddies the Google's Water

  • Subject: Re: [News] Once Again, Microsoft Muddies the Google's Water
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 01:37:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Microsoft Urges Antitrust Officials to Scuttle DoubleClick Deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft, a veteran defendant of epic antitrust battles in the United
> | States and Europe, is urging antitrust officials to consider
> | scuttling Google's plan to buy DoubleClick, an online advertising
> | company.
> `----
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/technology/16softcnd.html/partner/rssnyt?_r=1&oref=slogin
> http://tinyurl.com/2hmyke
>
> It's interesting to see that Microsoft took the lead (that's the news).
> Hypocrisy. Microsoft's 'high moral grounds'...

Gates has said that Live Service "will primarily be supported by
advertising" [1], so it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft is trying to
nuke Google's revenue strategy, given that it will effectively finish
off the struggling "Live" for good, which is already in its death throws.

[1]
http://news.com.com/Gates+Were+entering+live+era+of+software/2100-1016_3-5926237.html

Microsoft began as a company that sold a product before they even had
one to sell, conned the developer out of that product for a pittance,
then adopted that as their permanent "innovation" strategy. Using OEM
lock-ins to protect the various generations of that product, is a
strategy that has worked for Windows, but they have no such leverage
when it comes to other products and services (eXb0rks, "Live", etc.), as
they repeatedly discover to their utter dismay, over and over again.

As their failed attempts to monopolise other markets continue to sink
like bricks around them, they'll depend more and more on their primary
bread-and-butter products of Windows and Orifice, only to discover that
even with their OEM arm-lock, the people are rebelling against them and
their mediocre warez, and then even Windows will fail.

Someone once suggested that the future for Microsoft (after the
inevitable Operating System paradigm shift) was in selling services, but
given their abysmal efforts in that sector, and others, I really can't
see them having much future at all, beyond Windows.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 01:35:18 up 5 days,  9:47,  2 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.18, 0.17