Re: PS3 Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 16 April 2007 09:08 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 09:08 \__
>>
>>> Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I'll have one up and running soon, and will report back.
>>
>> Other than virtualising XP under PS3 Fedora, I wonder if it's possible to
>> create a hypervisor for the PS3's (modified) firmware and then run Linux
>> in a box, where it uses just a fraction of the overall capacity. Couple
>> play games while surfing the Web in another window. It's a rather radical
>> thought, but I'm sure that if Sony had financial incentives, they would
>> put effort into making PS3 Linux more attractive. They have already
>> submitted patched to 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
>>

> As you say, they're putting a lot of work into it.  My lads between them
> have already managed to get a load of MP3s onto it from an SD card which
> they normally use for a GP2X, using its default interface.  As with all
> younger people, though, they're somewhat stuck with the musical tastes
> of mum & dad :-)

I'm pretty impressed with the capacity of SD cards (I have two, plus a USB
card read reader). About 2 years ago they managed to squeeze and shove 2 GB
into a few grams. I believe they are up to 16 at the moment, but I haven't
checked in a while.

When I first studied CS, back in 2000/1, I can remember how ridiculous the
idea of putting the entire human knowledge in a matchbox seemed. A lecturer
spoke about it. These days, Wikipedia neatly fits an SD card. It's no
matchbox. It's something you can conveniently put in a person skull and I
bet that some day in the future we'll see more microcomputer assisting the
body in one form or another, from the inside, on a regular basis. The idea
os knowledge enhacement that interacts with neuron is probably well ahead
though. Think about the effects on input/output methods.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic
Cpu(s):  23.9% user,   3.0% system,   0.6% nice,  72.6% idle