Re: Wi-Fi Bug Found in Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 21:15 \__

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?newsID=8546&pagtype=samechan

https://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-eu-07/Butti/Presentation/bh-eu-07-Butti.pdf

> So a vulnerability has been discovered in some Open Source code ... and
> there is *that* code for all to see (and therefore *fix*).
>
> What does that mean in practice terms?:
>
> "We contacted Madwifi team on December, 5th
> They released a patched package (0.9.2.1) on December, 6th"
>
> And where is the source for all the tens of thousands of *Windows*
> vulnerabilities? And how long does it take Microsoft to fix *them*?
>
> Thanks for demonstrating yet another way in which FOSS is superior to
> proprietary software.

This thing has been blown out of proportion, just like that so-called iPod
virus. I posted a reply to Linonut before I saw yours.

It's not as though XP hasn't had this type of issue as well, _and_ it was
unpatched for a long time (many XP machines are still under threat). See:

The Critical XP Wi-Fi Patch You Need Today

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.php/3668406

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Swap:  1036184k total,   433444k used,   602740k free,    37760k cached