Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source

Tim Smith wrote:

In article <dL6dnfO4kbGrr7zbnZ2dnUVZ_rDinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Maverick <Sun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Show me where he stated this?

"Company Dumps .NET Software". Right there in the "Subject" line. Written by Roy.

And also in the article.

Where is it in the article? Since you apparently haven't actually READ the article, allow me to quote the whole thing for you:

Open source SplendidCRM a sweet alternative for ".Net-centric" SAAS provider
April 06, 2007 (8:01:00 PM)
By: Tina Gasperson
A "Microsoft-centric" call center solution provider called Promero worked mostly with proprietary applications, offering them as hosted software-as-a-service products. When it decided to create a custom replacement by cobbling together an existing CRM package and its own lead-generating application, CTO Roman Schepis quickly discovered that the only way to go was to use an open source CRM application.

Promero calls itself an on-demand provider of customer relationship management software, which is hosted on its own servers. Users can log on from anywhere in the world, using any kind of platform. The custom software includes a virtual call center and autodialer from Oracle, Promero's ProStar CRM, which is a spin-off of SplendidCRM, and Promero's own iLeadMachine, which manages leads and provides analysis and reports. Promero uses this software internally to generate and manage leads, and it also sells the software to other companies that operate on a telemarketing model.
Originally, Promero tried using proprietary CRMs such as Onyx. "It was a nice product," Schepis says, "but it was kind of heavy lifting to get it deployed for each client." Because the code wasn't open, Promero had to rely on the vendor for changes.
In order to make the customization process more flexible, and save money on licensing fees, Schepis decided to take a look at open source. "In 2006 we implemented SugarCRM and we tested that for about six months," he says. But Sugar didn't go over well with Promero's .Net-experienced team of developers. "It was a challenge doing PHP," Schepis says. "It was more difficult for our developers; we had to go out and buy PHP for Dummies and start from scratch. Even though there are a lot of support groups out there, because of the learning curve our cycle to get things done was extended. It wasn't a good fit."
Still, the fact that Schepis' team wasn't comfortable with the new development environment wasn't a deal breaker. "We were almost OK to live with the learning curve," he says, but the real problem was that Sugar's native PHP code didn't run well on Promero's server platform. "We were receiving leads and doing sales activities. We probably could have thrown lots of hardware at it and made it run faster, but it was just too sluggish in a hosted environment."
Schepis was determined to find an open source product suited to his purposes, "because we wanted to use it for the integration. We had a need to integrate the on-demand product in a way that wasn't exorbitantly expensive." The next product Schepis tried was the SplendidCRM. He was pleased. "It has additional features and some higher level functions than Sugar," he says. "And it is .Net-centric, so it is a clean fit."
Schepis says that Splendid's focus on Microsoft platforms made it simple to deploy and maintain. "It runs a lot faster on the same hardware," he says. "All of our users were very excited to see that performance increase. And because it is a .Net and SQL Server back end, we can do native integration, where with Sugar we had to do some middleware stuff."
Schepis says he learned a valuable lesson during this process. "The alignment of the underlying technology with your company's internal strengths and knowledge is the most important thing. We tried using PHP and MySQL and Apache -- it was pretty much foreign to us. We found success with open source by using what our guys know how to use."
Now that he's gained some practical experience with an open source application, Schepis says he'd use it again. "So long as there's existing knowledge, or an easy way to get up to speed, there's no difference between using open source and commercial. Actually, there's an additional benefit, because you have access to the source and the licensing fees are much lower. Just make sure you set your expectations in line with the experience level of the people who are going to implement it for you."

They did not dump .NET software. In fact, they evaluated non-.NET software, and decided to go with .NET software. This is the *opposite* of what Roy's headline claims.

They used "OPEN SOURCE"!!!!!
For christ sake, Timmy, go learn how to read.
Tom and I have already figured it out, but you and the rest of the wintrolls haven't. You continue with your pointless and lowlife attacks.