Re: [News] Almost 1 in 4 Europeans Uses Firefox

http://www.xitimonitor.com/en-us/browsers-barometer/firefox-march-2007/index-1-2-3-77.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/2p4zv4
>>
>> Technically, it's possible that Firefox users just suft the Web more, in
>> general.
>>
> Of course the good news for Microsoft is that all but a few of these
> rustics are using Windows to run Firefox.

http://www.xitimonitor.com/en-us/internet-users-equipment/operating-systems-december-2006/index-1-2-7-69.html

You think that it's *good* news for Microsoft that most Firefox users run
Windows, do you?
Interesting.

- So Microsoft puts out (sells) an OS which (according to that particular
site) perhaps 95% or 96% of people use.

- Bundled with that/those OS is the Microsoft browser - Internet Explorer.

- In the vast majority of cases, the users are able to update to Microsoft's
latest version, I.E.7 - in fact, it comes as a patch to XP, and is already
in Vista?

- Microsoft spent some years and a great deal of money/effort on that
browser.

- Due to the bundling and integration of I.E. into the OS, and to the fact
that over the years during which Microsoft "extended" web standards, a
great many sites became "Internet Explorer Only", it is actually
comparatively difficult for many users to change.  For those, I will accept
your term "rustics":-)

- and yet in spite of that, ONE IN FOUR of Microsoft's European users choose
to abandon Internet Explorer and use Firefox!  - and *you* feel that that
is *good* news for Microsoft?  Personally, if that is the case, I fervently
hope that Microsoft has much more good news coming its way.

Finally, let me add this.
I use Linux exclusively now.
Previously (since DOS 2.1) I used Microsoft.
The change was an incremental one, and started about 3 years ago.

The sequence was  Firefox... Thunderbird...OpenOffice.... Linux!
(That was of course in the days when "Firefox will never take off")