Re: Linux now on AppleTV

__/ [ Steve de Mena ] on Saturday 14 April 2007 23:46 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Maverick ] on Saturday 14 April 2007 00:12 \__

>>> A lot of those "Vista Capable" PCs were not able to install Vista.
>>> And a person did file a lawsuit against M$ concerning false advertising.
>>> It really is that simple when taking the general aspect of false
>>> advertising into account.
>>
>> Microsoft has proven it is above the law. Its lawyer is not giving any
>> legitimacy to the claim (yesterday), so the woman won't have an easy time,
>> unless she can afford a lot of lawyer time. Same story in Europe... they
>> get people 'exhausted' in the courtroom. Remember the Gates deposition
>> where he wouldn't admit anything for like an hour?
>>

> Where are the details on this?  As Microsoft
> doesn't sell PCs I am not sure what their
> involvement would be regarding a "Vista Capable"
> PC that wasn't capable.

See my reply to warchild. It's not just "Vista capable" which represents
this. They also channel-stuff in order to deceive buyers and they use
slogans that do not align with the reality (e.g. "Games for Windows").
References below.

Uh-Oh, Vista! PC Sales Levels Are Normal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/oh_oh_vista_pc_sales_levels_are_normal.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
| Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
| lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
|
| [...]
|
| Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company or a sales
| force within a company inflates its sales figures by forcing more
| products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable
| of selling to the world at large.
|
| [...]
|
| We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
| releases. The game is, "Find the words that make the headline true."
| It's not always easy.
|
| [...]
|
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commi...

Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
| blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
| treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
| and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
| least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game you are
| likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is certainly not a
| good buying argument but don?t think you and I have much choice as it
| looks like a take it or leave it deal. I like Vista as the 3D desktop
| looks sexy but that is probably its key feature.

Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the machines that
| we investigated were running Windows XP.
|
| Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as things
| might be not stable for current games. We hope that they can meet the
| early 2007 schedules.

                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com