Re: [News] Debain GNU/Linux Gets Good Review from OSTG

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 14 April 2007 15:28 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Debian redefines itself with new release
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Rumors of Debian's decline or irrelevance have been circulating
>> | for some time. Debian 4.0 may not always succeed in following
>> | its guiding principles, but, overall, the redefinition that it
>> | provides is a successful refutation of these rumors.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/13/1231226
>
> I prefer Debian to Ubuntu, myself.  For one thing, Ubuntu shows only an
> "idiot bar" when starting up, just like Windoze does.  For another
> thing, Ubuntu leaves off a lot of tools necessary to build projects from
> source.  Easy to overcome, of course, but a bit jolting to me.
> Debian is definitely my favorite at this point (although using Slackware
> is very instructive about the tendency of distros to add wrappers to the
> functionality, something that Slackware does not do.)
>
> Ubuntu is definitely a good way for a Windows user to start with Linux,
> though.

Not Xandros or Linspire?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.
  5:05pm  up 34 days  0:08,  8 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.53, 0.89