Re: [News] Microsoft Gets 38 Patents in One Day, Patents "Detection of Security Vulnerabilities in Computer Programs"

OK wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:09:29 +0100, Gordon
> <gbplinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> This is hysterical. Have a look at the list.
>>>
>>> Microsoft patent applications published on 12 April 2007
>>>
>>http://www.latestpatents.com/2007/04/12/microsoft-patent-applications-published-on-12-april-2007/
>>>

>>I think the most sinister one on the list is
>>No3     20070083874     Providing new functionality while maintaining
>>backward compatibility
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/yo6cer
>>
>>It would seem that ANY new OS that retained backwards compatibility while
>>giving the user new functionality might fall foul of this patent!
>
> It would seem that you did not read past the title.

Oh yes I did.

Quote:
The invention discloses a system method for providing new functionality to
an operating system while maintaining backward compatibility with existing
applications. The invention can provide new functionality while maintaining
backward compatibility without a requirement to change any syntax of an API
and without having to create new APIs for all functions. The invention can
be configured to pass monolithic data as well as modular data through
either legacy APIs or newly created APIs.

No mention of MICROSOFT operating systems there.....