Re: Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source

  • Subject: Re: Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 05:09:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • References: <2911485.1qYC6HAcsN@schestowitz.com> <qbrbkohy1yv4$.dlg@funkenbusch.com> <7padnQnc3-2wo4XbnZ2dnUVZ_oOknZ2d@bresnan.com> <1722806.a1tDkPTn45@schestowitz.com> <1vlk7s5o93zx.dlg@funkenbusch.com> <8ibne4-qoe.ln1@news.harry.net> <pan.2007.04.08.14.58.48.149983@tiscali.co.uk> <t3ene4-qoe.ln1@news.harry.net> <pan.2007.04.08.15.46.06.208144@tiscali.co.uk> <6NidnZEp0v28qITbnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@bresnan.com> <reply_in_group-09EE78.15160808042007@news.supernews.com> <J76dnZ2dqIBP5IfbnZ2dnUVZ_qninZ2d@bresnan.com> <131l0js73h8op39@news.supernews.com> <e_adnTW5J_S0XobbnZ2dnUVZ_o3inZ2d@bresnan.com> <131nm2pq9otps23@news.supernews.com> <wfidnVdn3M-iC4DbnZ2dnUVZ_vamnZ2d@bresnan.com> <1176359716.788917.250740@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <BeudnZ4WidaDiILbnZ2dnUVZ_rGinZ2d@bresnan.com>
__/ [ Maverick ] on Friday 13 April 2007 06:29 \__

> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>>                ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>>And that is exactly what he was getting at.

>>>As an aside... the article was poorly written and ambigous.
>>>The article title is "Open source SplendidCRM..."
>>>It is .Net-centric by nature and integrates well with MS platforms.
>>>(according to the article) but it is still open source software which
>>>has a lower licensing costs than if they'd have went directly to all MS.
>>>Do you see it now?
>>>

>> Except, if you read the article, Cost was not a factor in the decision
>> at all (at least not one they mentioned).
>
> But the article did state that one of their goals was that the license
> costs were lower.  We can't ignore the costs as part of the decision.
>
>>  The reason for the decision
>> is that they needed to be able to customize it on a per client basis
>> and integrate their own internal software into the system. They
>> couldn't do that with the proprietary systems.
>
> That much we agree on.
>

>> Your mistake here is thinking that on that level anyone is overly
>> concerend about licensing cost...  Licensing cost really is just a
>> small part of the overall cost of ownership.
>> For them, it was about
>> flexability.  They needed a system that they could tweak on demand -
>> and that required them to use an open source product.  Splendid was
>> much better fit because they were able to leverage their existing
>> knowledge base and it integrated into their existing infrastructure
>> better (not to mention it was faster).
>>

>>>So Roy didn't lie.
>>

>> I wouldn't classify what Roy did as lying...  But, he grossly twisted
>> the intent of the article with his title.  The major problem is the
>> "Company Dumps .NET Software" part.  Nothing, could be further from
>> the truth.  The fact is that they embraced .NET software in favor of a
>> php solution.  The only part of the title that is acurate is the
>> "Finds Happiness in Open Source" part - and that's because SplendidCRM
>> is open source software.
>>

> Which puts us both on the same page and ground.
> But Erik sure jumped on Roy and claimed he lied.

Someone whom I trust has just told me that Microsoft poisons the well and
tries to catch people with an egg in the face. Don't believe anything the
trolls say.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Proprietary, lockin-based tools lead to regrets. Doc(umen)tor, heal thyself.
  5:05am  up 33 days 12:08,  8 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.85, 0.92