Re: [News] Attempt to Fund Linux Adverts Seeks $350,000

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 13 April 2007 14:52 \__

>> Linux Marketing Campaign Seeks $350k in 40 Days
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Lobby4Linux announced an ambitious project to raise $350,000 or
>>| more to sponsor "Team Linux" with a big logo on the side of an
>>| Indy 500 race car. The Tux 500 project combines the efforts of
>>| volunteers at Lobby4Linux, Bob Moore, a visible GNU/Linux
>>| administrator, and Acceleration Marketing to sponsor the race
>>| car. If the group raises the money in 40 days to become a
>>| primary sponsor, the Linux name stands to reach millions
>>| of households.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/85530/index.html
>>
>> Rather pointless, IMHO, but worth a mention.
>>

> Umm, I think it might be very worthwhile, in fact.  Motor racing is
> mainly watched by guys, but the advertising gets a wide audience, and
> people rarely remember /where/ they hear names, they just remember them.
> Look at how much money Microsoft spend purely on their image...

I personally think the money could be spent in better ways. If Linux won due
to brainwash it wouldn't be a 'scientific' win; not one that's based on
merits. I don't like marketing and I dislike occupations where a middleman
is involved. I think it's wasteful. It's a war of unproductive effort, like
the distribution of many flyers that end up on the ground, to later be
picked up by a poor man with a broom.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S