Re: [News] GPL Could Lead to Novell Fork of GNU/Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 13 April 2007 09:53 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 12 April 2007 15:01 \__
>>
>>> flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> One of the issues is about the Novell/Microsoft deal;  part of the new
>>> draft is aimed at preventing deals like this being made which exclude
>>> "everyone else", ie., if Microsoft agree to indemnify Novell's customers
>>> against software-patent-based attacks by Microsoft, then they would be
>>> bound to offer /exactly the same/ indemnification to everyone.
>>>
>>> So, it doesn't stop such deals being made, it merely prevents Microsoft
>>> from picking-off successful distributions one at a time, which appears
>>> to me to be the road that they have started along with the Novell deal.
>>>
>>> Contrarily, I suspect that Novell might actually welcome such changes,
>>> and could even use it as a means to get out of the mess which they've
>>> got themselves into on this (a kind of Laurel & Hardy moment, isn't it?).
>>> I can see them adopting GPLV3 in a /big/ hurry, and then getting
>>> themselves off the hook using it.
>>
>> They insists in their rebuttal (to me as well) that the deal is all about
>> interoperability. I don't see why interoperability should require a deal.
>> There should be standards. Interoperability should be assumed, unless
>> there's abuse in the market (which is indeed the case). It's quite
>> flattering to have come to the attention of the heads of a 5000-employee
>> gorilla. I don't think they like boycottnovell.com. Will they fight it?
>> We'll see... they have more resources than SCO, with just over 100
>> employees.
>>

> Well, they are fighting it already, aren't they?  The problem at the
> moment is that there really is no merit in the deal which they've reached
> with Microsoft, so they have no grounds on which to build any kind of
> argument against your site.

Well, a correction has just been posted to Slashdot, which is rare (yesterday
they also modified the previous post, but apparently it was not enough). So,
I imagine Novell dived in. The top execs also showed up in Open Sources and
they used strong language. Someone in our site said that the investors
talked about a Novell-VA Software (was that the name? The OSTG owners
anyway...) takeover. Just imagine that. It's one among just 3 or so Open
Source companies that are up there in Wall Street. In any event, this double
Slashdot effect only gets us more attention and among the hundreds of
comments posted by 'the Slashdot mob' (it's/used to be a subclulture) you
see several others who loudly support the boycott and feel similarly.

> My feeling is that they will look to use
> the GPLV3 as an excuse to wriggle out of the deal with MS.  Unless they
> are truly so foolish as to believe that MS will act in their interests,
> but I cannot imagine anyone being that naive.  Can I?

They mess about with journalists now, trying to muddy the water and take down
the GPLv3 before it's finalised and widely adopter. I believe that Novell
could become the same type of slime that Microsoft has been for years. Ther
work together now... while Microsoft nicks Novell's customers behind their
backs and Novell's Linux goes nowhere... let Microsoft just buy Novell and
call it a day I say...

Anyway... it's off my chest now. Novell used to be a victim, but now it's
time for them to shine by retaliating with the abuser.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
Mem:    514480k total,   481376k used,    33104k free,     5640k buffers