Re: [News] Google Sponsors ZFS for GNU/Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 12 April 2007 05:08 \__

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6607bf3c83d915db/1f8fc253d0ed5d95?lnk=st

> Surprise, surprise ... almost nothing has changed:
>
> 1.  ZFS is still distributed under the deliberately anti-GPL CDDL
>     license [1].
> 2.  ZFS still doesn't support SELinux extended attributes.
> 3.  Oh, ZFS *is* now supported on Linux, if you can stomach the
>     GPL-hating license.
> 4.  It is still debatable whether ZFS has any real benefits on systems
>     other than a Trusted Solaris server.
> 5.  Linux still has (arguably) superior filesystems (XFS).
> 6.  Sun still tries to inhibit people's liberties with stupid licenses,
>     clauses, and export restrictions. Debian still hates the CDDL, as do
>     I. Sun, overall, are still Black Hats.
> 7.  The benchmarks are in. ZFS loses, XFS wins [2].
> 8.  http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/photos/images/_S8W5967-72.jpg

Eeeeww... [NSFW]

> 9.  Sun seem to have swept their relationship with SCO under the carpet.
>     Not surprising really - SCO don't have many friends left in the
>     industry, but some of us have very, very long memories, and will not
>     easily forget about Sun's historical loyalties, however much they
>     seem to have mellowed over time.
> 10. Incredibly, after all this time, Sun *still* do not ship a 64bit
>     version of the Java plugin!!! How utterly retarded.

Longest-standing bug report (wishlist) ever... still being pointed at every
now and then. It has become a joke.

> [1] The CDDL is deliberately anti-GPL:
>
> ,----
> | "Mozilla was selected [as the basis for the CDDL] partially because
> | it was GPL incompatible, that was part of the design when they
> | released Open Solaris" - Denise Cooper, CDDL author.
> `----
>  - http://tinyurl.com/yzbpyg (Debconf6)
>    (27 minutes and 27 seconds into the video).
>
> [2] ZFS vs XFS: http://tinyurl.com/2vezkv (csamuel.org)

:-) Nobody in a cubicle can catch up with an enthusiastic community of field
experts.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
Mem:    514480k total,   393796k used,   120684k free,    17812k buffers