Re: [News] Microsoft Most Valued Professional Explains "Windows Rot"

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:35:38 +0100
<1515682.2bqtDJvN6X@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Why Does Windows Get Slower Over Time?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The natural impulse is to blame Windows itself. The phenomenon is so
> | well known and widespread that some in the industry have even coined a
> | term for it: "Windows rot." The idea is that, for lack of a specific
> | cause, Windows just performs worse the longer you use it.
> `----
>
> http://www.playfuls.com/news_06892_Why_Does_Windows_Get_Slower_Over_Time.html
>
> I'm assuming the submitter is also the author.
>
> It comes down to scalability. Even with many fonts installed, the O/S should
> not be slowed down. It seems like an implementational issue. Do we expect
> our parents to just avoid certain sites or limit the number of applications
> they install? Why do Mac OS and Linux not have this problem? I also opine
> that the latter issue helps Microsoft discourage installation of third-party
> (evil, non-Microsoft) applications. I have even been warned by at least 3
> people that I should not install anything new on their Windows PC because it
> leads to bloat. How's that for competition?

Hmm...good suggestions in the site, but he missed a maybe
not-quite-as-obvious one:

- Do not allow your paging file to auto-adjust; set it to one size
  and that's it.

While warez, shady web sites, and malware will keep one's
Windows PC busy (more accurately, stealing one's CPU cycles
to do nefarious things, or just eavesdropping on one's
sensitive communications), paging file fragmentation will
cause problems, if only a slowdown as the computer has to
wander all over the disk for virtual memory pieces.

The font issue is interesting -- and I'm frankly not sure
why Windows would want to preload fonts during startup.
(Linux has a similar, if different, problem; the font
server xfs will probably want to scan its font directory
list during boot.  It is not clear to me when it will
actually load the font into the X server.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable