Re: [News] Bad Day for Microsoft's Public Relation

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 11 April 2007 13:31 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Vista: Whatever happened to fast boot?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Anyone else remember when Microsoft used to talk about making Windows
>> | Vista (or Longhorn, as it was then known) a fast-booting operating
>> | system. Fast, as in cold boots that were 50 percent faster than
>> | those possible with Windows XP?
>> |
>> | Something obviously went awry.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=378
>>

> Thats the down side of Linux.
>
> When you are on Linux 99% of the time but have to pop onto someone's XP to
> fix something. Linux folk are just not used to having to wait this long for
> the thing to first get as far as the login, then an even longer period
> while the GUI sets itself up, followed last the longest extraordinarily
> slow Internet protection suite which after setting itself up grabs the
> Lion's share of system resources. I don't blame the Symantecs and McAfees
> of this world for that, plonking security on top of XP can't be the easiest
> task in the world.
>
> But us Linux folk are just not used to this long    long    long 'ah I
> think
> it's ready'     'no it's not letting me do anything yet'   long      long
> wait.
>
> Then, as it looks like it's finished you open the file browser and it
> crashes and DFC's granny (or someone) says 'No no, sonny, you have to wait
> till the cursor stops spinning before you open anything'.
>
> So, Linux's quick start and ready within moments from the login does not
> teach it's users patience. I think Debian should put in a few 'sleep 5000'
> commands in the startup so that we can learn patience the same way Windows
> users get to learn it.

'Warmup' time is one serious issue, but don't forget the frequent need to
reboot (patches, crashes, et cetera). I'm a little jealous sometimes. I
never have a good excuse to take a 5-minute coffee break. Outages seem the
only cause for 'reboots', which are fast anyway. we only have outages once a
year (at most), so there's not much room for coffee. :-( :-(

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
roy      pts/0                         Wed Apr 11 09:44   still logged in