Re: [News] Vista Driving Users Away to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista Driving Users Away to GNU/Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:01:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:41:13 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Many more new stories just like it. The installed based of GNU/Linux is
>>quietly but steadily being inflated. And the increase is expected to
>>exponential (the 'network effect', AKA sheep culture). Today's oddballs
>>appear to be those bold (or silly) enough to buy Vista, not those who
>>install Linux. Uninformed adopters of Vista often go back or quietly suffer,
>>learning to cope with the consequence (see the famous spiky chair cartoon).
>
> I had a weird dream the other night. Steve Balmer came to my door in a
> tattered suit with a beat up leather case. It was full of Vista media.
>
> He tried to sell me Vista Ultimate disks for $5.95 each. I told him
> I'd give him 5 cents apiece for them because the dog needed a new roof
> on his house.  He said OK if I'd throw in a scrap of bread.....wait a
> minute.....excuse me....there's someone knocking
> at my door.

It very much appears that Vista will be Microsoft's greatest disaster.
There will be a long period of re-invention and internal reorganisation,
the board and senior management will be replaced, and Microsoft will
look to recruit open-source experts and also software development
experts from companies which are good at it, like IBM, say.  They will
surely survive, but they will look very different in the future.