Re: [News] Microsoft Most Valued Professional Explains "Windows Rot"

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06892_Why_Does_Windows_Get_Slower_Over_Time.html

> I'm assuming the submitter is also the author.
>
> It comes down to scalability. Even with many fonts installed, the O/S
> should not be slowed down. It seems like an implementational issue. Do we
> expect our parents to just avoid certain sites or limit the number of
> applications they install? Why do Mac OS and Linux not have this problem?
> I also opine that the latter issue helps Microsoft discourage installation
> of third-party (evil, non-Microsoft) applications. I have even been warned
> by at least 3 people that I should not install anything new on their
> Windows PC because it leads to bloat. How's that for competition?

Do not install too many fonts, do load programs, don't visit web sites?

I can't believe that huge numbers of MS users go round looking for fonts to
install. Fonts are installed for them by the OS and by some applications.

But why does the OS bother about Fonts that are not yet used? Find them and
call them in when an application asks for them. Hardly rocket science is
it, afterall they are all in one directory so doesn't take long to find
them. There was a time, I think it was DRDOS, where in an exe's 256 header
there was a place where you could put a pointer to a list of resources, so
the program loader could go off and get your fonts and things ready. (I
can't remember if it was DRDOS).

Going down his list you eventually get the impression that the best solution
to PC performance is to not use it at all, then the computer will stay in
great condition. Maybe go further and never remove it from the packaging.

I come from the other side of the fence, that you should use your computer
for what ever you want to use it for and it should do it's job of letting
you get on with what ever it is you like to do.

For that you want Linux, browse safe, take reasonable care i.e. don't do
silly things with user rights, then go ahead and do what you want to do. If
you fancy trying something but suspect the site might be a touch dodgy,
switch to user you keep just for these things while you try it out.

I don't let porn anywhere near my home PCs, I use Squidguard. Also gradually
add advert sources to Squidguard and you get rid of those horrible flashing
adverts on the pages. Ok, so some sites don't let you through to their
proper pages unless you allow the advert first, stuff-em there are plenty
of other web sites out there.

There is also something very pleasing about a div on a page that should be
an advert that instead gets my orange background with white text 'Bill
posters prohibited' in it.