Re: [News] XBox to Cost $150, Run GNU/Linux ;-)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:54:06 +0100
<1611719.rC4A0p2RbV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> How to Turn an Xbox Into a $150 Linux PC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A real PC lurks under Microsoft's game console. Here's how to release
> | it
> `----
>
> http://www.crn.com/white-box/59201336

2004.  The modification (or even opening!) of the X-box
voids the user's warranty, and is of course something
Microsoft is presumably not happy with. ;-)

It is not clear why it should be illegal, unless the
hack disables certain elements required by DMCA such as
copyright validation hardware/software.

Note that according to
http://www.gtpcc.org/gtpcc/hackingxbox.htm chip modsets
can run $69-$79 -- which means that the Xbox costs more
like $219-$229 with such a chip.

To be sure, this one's dated 2003.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found