What does a newcomer learn in this news group?

  • Subject: What does a newcomer learn in this news group?
  • From: Erik Jan <anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:14:44 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
For some days I have been reading in this news group. What did I learn?

Microsoft does not do business in a decent and fair way. It has been condemned for this. Some people believe that MS continues illegal practices.

Windows is an OS that carries the past with it; it has never been restructured in order to cope with the contemporary more complex situation. This makes it vulnerable to attacks by all kinds of malware.

It is impossible now to rewrite Windows from zero. It is too big. And if done the result would not be a new Windows, but something else. I would welcome this other, new system and try it at once.

All this does not exactly tell me that Linux is a better OS, it tells me really that Windows is *worse* than Linux.

Many discussions end in flame wars and name calling. These go on and on making the news group a battleground for private wars between a select and small group of persons, not really interesting or advocating one OS or another.

Some cities, government institutions, corporations discard their Microsoft OS on their networks and/or desktops and go over to a Linux OS. This is interesting news, but what does it mean? From this news group I learn that if may be very significant or meaningless. Thinking about this I conclude that we just don't know. Suppose a few cities or government departments go over to Linux, say a few hundred thousand computers. If there are about 600.000.000 computers of which 90% uses Microsoft's operating systems, all these "defections" not even amount to a promille of Microsoft's user base. A mere fluctuation? Or a trend? A ground swell?

Does Vista sell well or not? The truth is: we don't know and do not have the means to know. Time only will tell.

Do all these discussions promote Linux? At first I found many of them interesting until the flaming and name calling began, but after a few days I must say most are utterly boring and not promoting either Linux or Windows.

I wish you all well and hope that all these clever people that write in this group will start discussions that show the qualities of Linux instead of the failures of Windows or the vices of Microsoft.

Erik.