[News] Sun Sees Growth Rate Slowing, GNU/Linux Certification Gained for Sun Hardware

Sun, One of the Walking Wounded, Trying To Turn the Corner

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz said, "We are definitely seeing a slowing in the
| growth rate."
`----

http://java.sys-con.com/read/368249_p.htm

Maybe Sun should try a 3$ Solaris in developing nations in order to buy some
time. OpenSolaris is definitely a good start.

FalconStor certifies SunFire X4500 for the IPStor platform running on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| FalconStor has certified the SunFire X4500 for the IPStor platform
| running on Linux. The X4500 with the IPStor platform creates a robust
| storage solution for data protection and high density storage
| applications.
`----

http://www.snseurope.com/snslink/news/generalnews-full.php?newsid=6482

Related:;

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has discovered the exact same thing. Freedom sells. Or, rather,
| services around freedom sell. The freedom itself is, well, free.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html

Linux and Solaris face off

,----[ Quote ]
| He concludes: "There's not much Solaris offers us for development above
| Linux (I can't actually think of anything we would care about) and there
| are no IBM JREs available for it. [But] if Sun's freeing up of Java
| means IBM's API becomes more compatible, this might change."
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/13/readers_feedback_linux_vs_solaris/

I can't make it with my 512 MB

,----[ Quote ]
| Ouch! Frederik Himpe is right: Solaris Express Developer Edition has for
| the minimum system requirements: 768 MB of RAM and 14 GB of disk space
| (80 GB is the recommended size).
|
| Sounds like Vista to me.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2813&from=rss