[News] Vista Flop Raises Linux Curiosity in Latin America

How Composite project (Former Compiz and Beryl) help Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| By the way talking about who is helping Linux to gain more and
| more popularity Microsoft is doing its part :). By closing XP sales
| and with Vista being so hardware hungry some users specially here
| in Latin America where buying that "big" computers is not affordable
| for lots of users, more and more will be willing to convert to Linux.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/node/107

Related:

Ubuntu takes advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I'm very proud to announce that another Venezuelan institution
| of the government, take our recommendation and then we deploy more of
| 700 HP PCs with Ubuntu and 150 IBM Laptops with Kubuntu.
`----

http://blog.blanco.net.ve/2007/03/ubuntu-takes-advantage.html

ElMostrador.cl: Chilean Public Pension System (INP) Switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The institution will save more than 67,000 USD per year in license fees.
|
| Two of every three Chileans either pay or get paid by this state-owned
| institution, which has 63 offices and ten corporate buildings all over the
| country, using more than 1500 computers.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-01-005-20-NW-DP

German parliament plans to pursue open source strategy further

,----[ Quote ]
| The administration behind the Bundestag has reacted to criticism from
| the Linux Association concerning the call for tenders for an IT
| project.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/88796

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Cuba Embraces Open-Source Software