Re: [News] PC Magazine: Microsoft Should Start Worrying

__/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 29 April 2007 11:49 \__

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:55:06 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:43:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Time for Microsoft to Start Worrying
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> Except the future does *NOT* lay in web-based applications.  Perhaps, for
>> a small subset, but most users simply will not or cannot use web-based
>> apps 100% of the time, and if you have to have a traditional application
>> to do the job part of the time, why use two apps when one will work 100%
>> of the time?
>
> Apparently there's a lot of it going this way. NOt that I lie hte idea
> myself, I'd rather keep my documents, etc *mine*.
>

>> Unfortunately, I think Microsoft is going to take googles lead and attempt
>> to compete with them in this stupid area.
>>
>> Consider this:
>>
>> 1) Your company is no longer in control of it's documents.  Deride all you
>> want about Microsoft's "lock-in", but you still have physical control over
>> the document, and can determine who does and doesn't see it.  You control
>> how it's backed up, or whether or not it's encrypted.  With web based
>> applications, none of that is possible, which means it's in violation of
>> many federal regulations to use such tools, including Hippa.
>>
>> 2) Web-based apps only work when you're online.  Suppose your T1 goes down
>> 10 minutes before the proposal is due, or you need to do work while on the
>> airplane or in some other internet inaccessible place.
>
> In the future I think there are going to be few places that *are*
> internet-inaccessible. But I take your point, in general, certainly at the
> present time.
>

>> 3) Web-based apps are limited in functionality, and likely always will be.
>>
>> You're a fool to think google will gain anything mroe than a niche from
>> this market, though microsoft seems intent on denying them even that.

>> At the moment?  You mean, Always will.  All but the most obtuse business
>> will not allow their documents to be controlled off-site by a company that
>> gives them no guarantees about backups, availability, security, or
>> performance.  At least local servers are under your own IT departments
>> control.

>> Highly unlikely.  Mark my words.  Two years from now, Web-based office
>> applications will still be a niche.  And i'm not talking about Web-based
>> apps you run on your intranet.  I'm talking about web-based apps hosted by
>> the authors of those applications.
>
> Yet everyone seems to be getting into this area. I was watching Click, a
> BBC tech programme only yesterday, and they were talking tot he CEO (I
> think) of Adobe, about some new web-based apps they're launching. So it
> isn't just office apps.

Read the related item again...

'Gates (many many years ago): "I admit I find it hard to focus lost of
resources on trials and things when the Inetarnet is taking away our power
every day and will have eroded it irretrievably by the time broadband is
pervasive on the course we are on right now."

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_5704.pdf '

Gates was not interested in the Internet in 1993. He also estimated that half
a megabyte of RAM would be enough for everyone. Either he's a fool, or he
thinks wishfully.

I'm still waiting for 2006 when SPAM (Windows zombies) is finally over.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie