Re: [News] The Register on The Microsoft 'Default' Phenomenon (AKA Choice is Forbidden)

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:45:16 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>>    "In the meantime, the reality is that many vendors have come to the
>>    conclusion that it is not worth trying to fight the Microsoft default
>>    phenomenon -- it's far more effective to just accept and work
>>    around it. Recommind, for example, will happily snuggle its advanced
>>    search engine into a SharePoint environment, and Meridio compliance
>>    functionality is designed to be embedded into Microsoft Office."
>
> Actually, the reality is that many vendors see business opportunity in
> filling in the missing parts of a given Microsoft solution.  This is a far
> cry from "not worth trying to fight" it.

No, it is exactly that.

The companies are pretty certain that if they provide a nice solution to
fill in a missing part, and it proves popular, then ...

> ... Microsoft does fill in those parts themselves,

SeewhatImean?

> those companies cry like stuck pigs.

No, they don't cry.  They go bankrupt.

> Linux stays in it's niches because it doesn't have the one thing that
> Microsoft has in spades.  Marketability.

No.  Not marketability.  Marketing.  And over-zealous corporate
evangelism.

I will admit that Microsoft has /some/ marketability -- the same way IBM
did a few decades ago nuk nuk.

As far as Linux's marketability, well, I would counsel Linux advocates
to be vewy vewy caweful what they ask faw.

Their company might end up like... ahem... Novell, surprised to learn
that Microsoft had an ulterior motive >gasp< for the deal.

Nice Microsoft advocacy, Erik.  Keep it up!

--
   Linux -- because it's *your* money, not Microsoft's