Re: Redhat Enterprise Linux 5

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 27 April 2007 12:26 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
>> Partner Company: "We need a good server Rob can you sort one out for us,
>> we are willing to pay a good few thousand because we want a really good
>> one
>> {then they sign the blank cheque with} but we have no idea what to buy".
>>
>> Me: 'YESYESYES I CAN' {runs off into the sunset shouting} YIPPEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>> Partner Company: "I wonder if we selected the right man for the job".
>>
>> I'm a SLES man, but I'm still a bit miffed with Novell, not because of the
>> MS thing, but because the online updates don't work because something went
>> wrong with the login area on the Novel site where the machines are
>> registered. When I wrote to support they wrote back saying it wasn't
>> anything to do with them.
>>
>> So now I have to update all of my SLES machines manually. As far as Novell
>> are concerned none of them are registered anymore, but if I try to
>> register them it tells me I can't, as far as I'm concerned the agreement
>> is for three years and I have two years to go, but Novell are not the
>> least bit interested in helping me sort this out. So sod em, whether this
>> was a server for me or a partner company, I'm not paying for support that
>> doesn't exist.
>>
>> So much I as I like SLES, SLES is not an option anymore. After wandering
>> around a bit I came back to Redhat.
>>
>> Redhat means solid as a rock, bit behind as far as the other server
>> enterprise distros are concerned, and frankly a bit dull. Or at least that
>> is what it used to mean.
>>
>> Oracle's kick up Redhat's bum seems to have hit the spot good and proper,
>> Enterprise five is excellent.
>>
>> Firstly it is easier to pick a version, The first version does everything
>> but limited in numbers, the second version does everything without limits.
>> Easy.
>>
>> Selecting the right support level for a particular server has been made
>> easier too, very easy to pick the one you want without worrying about
>> whether you have enough cover.
>>
>> Anyone thinking of virtualizing ought to look at Redhat.
>> Then cluster helpers are amazingly good.
>> Bits-n-bobs keep coming up that have a touch of the wow factor (oops, have
>> I pinched that off someone else?). Make sure you read the 'What's new' and
>> bits of the manual, otherwise you might miss out on some usefull tools
>> that Redhat have sneaked in.
>>
>> The look and feel is still typically Redhat, but once set up who is going
>> to look or feel it anyway, it will spend the next hundred years or so in a
>> rack plodding away, in a few generations time someone will pull out a
>> plug, the server will go off and people will stand around saying things
>> like 'I didn't know it was a server, I thought it was something to do with
>> the factory radio'. That's the trouble with Redhat, it makes for a dull
>> life for the IT folk, it just never breaks.
>
> Amen.

At work we have some Microsoft Exchange server. The bugger falls over
occasionally, which is a nuisance because Thunderbird comes up with popups.
Oddly enough, the Red Hat server (the one I use) would never be down. I
don't think a popup like that has come up... for /years/. It's just there.
And it works. Always.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
session
Cpu(s):  23.6% user,   3.1% system,   0.7% nice,  72.6% idle