[News] Vista DRM Goes Rambo on Testers, Prevents Disk Writes

Microsoft shows just how bad Vista DRM can be

,----[ Quote ]
| When this reboot happens you will not be allowed to save any
| data.
|
| However according to the beta's small print, even this
| "privilege" will be taken away later on.
|
| Goodness knows what havoc the DRM will evoke.

Also in 'DRM madness' world:

Jobs says Apple customers not into renting music

,----[ Quote ]
| Many in the music industry hope iTunes will ultimately start, in
| effect, renting music online, so record companies can make more
|         ^^^^^^^
| money from recurring income. But Jobs said he had seen little
| consumer demand for that.
|
| "People want to own their music," he said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/wr_nm/apple_jobs_dc

Ownership concerns. With Windows, you don't own your software, your personal
files (lockins), and your favourite media. Everything is being 'rented'. You
are being forced to repurchase and upgrade (or 'upgrade').

Related:

Notes on Vista forensics

,----[ Quote ]
| The problems are not only related to forensic software, however, and
| while some may be addressed with a simple driver update others may
| be considered even more fundamental as Scott A Moulton of Forensic
| Strategy Services, LLC. explains: "I still have major problems
| mounting large drives under Vista. I use many 1 terabyte or 2
| terabyte drives and Vista is absolutely worthless on these drives -
| I'm lucky if Vista does not actually mess the drive up. Deleting
| files is a nightmare and sometimes takes days. Just simply copying
| files is so slow it is unbearable.
|
| "I received quite a few responses from people who have had similar
| issues and it seems that DRM [Digital Rights Management] may be the
| most probable cause. They've found that Vista tries to check each
| file to see if there is a protection flag on it or not before even
| deleting the file."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/16/vista_forensics_2/page3.html

Vista betas, RCs will reboot every 2 hours starting June 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. today spelled out exactly how users of Windows Vista
| betas and release candidates can shift to the final code, and warned
| that beginning June 1, preview-equipped PCs will automatically reboot
| every two hours.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9017728&source=rss_news50

Vista beta testers face software expiration

,----[ Feed excerpt ]
| Thanks for the help - now pay up or get lost. Millions of people testing
| beta and release candidate (RC) versions of Windows Vista will find
| their test software expires on June 1 - and Microsoft is not offering
| much help on migrating their systems.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=8519

Microsoft's Xbox rewards caused massive disappointment

,----[ Quote ]
| As a keen gamer who has owned most games consoles known to man, I was an
| Xbox early adopter back in 2002 when the console was launched. So when
| Microsoft said they'd give early adopters lots of extra stuff when
| they reduced their prices - I was happy. Apart from the fact that my
| extras never came and no one at Microsoft wanted to know.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/microsofts_xbox_rewards_caused_massive_disappointment

Microsoft using early Vista users as guinea pigs?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=646